Say Goodbye to Emotional Eating!
Stress eating is a negative behavior that many of us give into during hard times. It’s easy to just sit down, eat our favorite foods, and forget about whatever it is that’s bothering us. Eating when we’re feeling emotional is only going to provide us with short-term relief. In the end, we’ll just end up feeling guilty for having over-indulged ourselves with fatty food and sugary sweets. It’s important to find other things to do when we’re feeling stressed, because, let’s face it, it’s going to happen periodically throughout our lifetime whether we like it or not. For patients that undergo bariatric surgery, it is especially important to gain control over stress eating in order to be successful in maintaining weight loss. Are you going to let stress get the best of you? Here are some tips on what you can do instead of eating to relieve stress and feel good about it!
- Exercise! Getting in some physical activity is a great way to relieve stress! Ever try a kick-boxing class? Sounds like a great way to get your frustration out! Only this would be a more positive way to go about it. 🙂
- Read a book. Getting lost in a good book is a great way to take your mind off things. What types of stories interests you? Mystery, Horror, Science Fiction, Drama, Romance? So many to choose from! Get all cozy in your bed and take an hour to read a chapter or two.
- Take up a hobby. Ever been interested in doing something, but just never got around to it? The possibilities are endless. You could learn to knit, paint, write short stories/poetry, collect something, learn a new language, scrapbook….anything!
- Spend time with your family/friends. Who are your main supporters? These should be the people that you can reach out to for help and talk to about anything. Whatever it is that you’re stressing about, talk to someone! Who knows, maybe they’ll have insightful and helpful advice that can make you feel 10 times better than any food ever will.
- Take care of you! Take this time when you’re feeling stressed to take care of things you have control over. Have you been meaning to clean that bathroom for about a week now? Clean up your house or get caught up on your bills. Plan out your healthful meals for the week, make a list of what you need, and go to the grocery store. Taking care of business can take a huge load off your shoulders. You can even treat yourself by getting a haircut or buying some new clothes!
At St. Louis Bariatrics, we want you to be the best you! Don’t let life or stress get in the way of your success. Dr. Snow and our dietitian are determined to help you stay on track, no matter what obstacles get thrown your way.